Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Girls can't play baseball!

Today While reading a terrifying blog entry about Condi's Confirmation hearing comparing her to Nefertiti, ( I have great respect for Condi by the way, but I don't have great respect for the way she seems to have layed down and spread her legs (figuratively) for our president.) I came across this lovely entry. Which linked me to this article about the President of Harvard, Lawrence Summers.

Apparently on last Friday Larry (as I will call him because it's an ugly name and he pissed me off) well Larry spoke at a convention about the differences between the sexes.

"The president of Harvard University prompted criticism for suggesting that innate differences between the sexes could help explain why fewer women succeed in science and math careers"

I'm glad to hear it prompted "criticism" because in MY opinion it should have prompted OUTRAGE. I am so angry right now I can barely see my screen. Larry is in charge of one of the most respected universities in the country and he DARES to FUCKING REPEAT THIS ABSOLUTE TRIPE WHAT A FUCKIGN ASSHOLE I WANT TO SHOVE MY CPU UP HIS ASS.

::breathes:: Okay. I think I'm done with that, but there may be future outbursts.

Anyway, apparently he was trying to be "provacative" and to stir debate. But I think he should re think his "candid" speach and realize there are other factors at work here besides biology and that I really doubt that biology has much to do with it. I am a big believer in speaking candidly, and so I will.

Its possible that women are biologically inferior to men. Adn that's why we can't drive cars, vote, or think rationally about anything. Oh... wait, we can vote and drive cars? Yay, lets go Shopping.

OR

Maybe, women don't succeed in Math and Science fields because of the natural bias in the education system. Women aren't expected to do well and therefore they do not (The math and science programs at my all girls school were atrocious and without good reason to be that way) and there is something to be said for expectations. In fact, if you got a group of people together who were going to take a test and you said, People with brown hair score highest on this test, unless they have blue eyes and then they usually fare poorly. The probability that such a bias would Actually exist in the results of the test is higher than chance.

Maybe women don't succeed in Math and Science fields because they are limited by teachers and employers along the way. It is possible that teachers and prof. as well as employers would view a woman in a math/science field as being less competant than a man. (like my boss for instance, asshole) For these reasons they might make certain assumptions and act on them before actually assesing the competency of these women. As much as we would all like to believe that no one has a gender bias, it is clear that some people do.

In fact, it is clear our buddy Larry does

"He also cited as an example one of his daughters, who as a child was given two trucks in an effort at gender-neutral upbringing. Yet he said she named them "daddy truck" and "baby truck," as if they were dolls." So what? Dickhead.

"Summers already faced criticism because the number of senior job offers to women has dropped each year of his three-year presidency."

I hope his daughter grows up and becomes a chemist so she can blow up her father.